Recently we launched our best ever brunch menu, a cracking new cocktail menu and now we’ve rolled out a new dinner menu and we’re super excited about it, as not only is it superb but it also really fits what the Canteen is all about; fun, relaxed and a bit different.
The menu is pretty much split into 2 main parts: Small Plates and Big Juicy Burgers.
The Small Plates is the new element that we’re especially pleased with. At the moment we’re really into trying lots of different dishes and setting off multiple flavour bombs in our mouths – the Small Plates really helps that. It’s also a really sociable way to eat, and that’s something we love at Ben’s Canteen, groups of mates having fun.
Here are a few of our new Small Plates,
- Fish Tacos with Smashed Avocado and Salsa – with a little squeeze of lime, too good. Our most popular Small Plate.
- Braised Lamb Flatbread with Harissa and Greek Yoghurt – as soon as you finish this one, you think about ordering another (pictured below).
- Heritage Tomato Salad with Rosary Goats Cheese – spot on for the summer.
- Pork and Fennel Meatballs – warning, these are seriously addictive!
- Butcher’s Board – a perfect sized charcuterie board with pickles and toast.
We see Small Plates as being perfect for you and a friend to catch up after work and we’ve introduced a little promo called The After Worker where you can get any 2 Small Plates and a Carafe of Wine for just £18 – that’s less than a tenner each for a cracking catch up session.
The Big Juicy Burger element builds on our reputation of having one of the best burgers in town, the BC Burger. However, we’ve now massively improved our offering and we genuinely feel like we have amazing burgers across the board,
- Crunchy Chicken Burger – it’s posh fried chicken and it’s super tasty. We brine it in buttermilk and then add bacon and slaw, too good.
- The Wandsworth Food Bank Burger – a lamb & coriander burger with pickled ginger and cucumber and wasbi mayo. For years we’ve been subjected to lamb burgers being cooked to an inch of their life and normally just topped with tzatziki but our lamb burger is super juicy and a million miles away from our old disappointing memories. Also, 50p from each one sold will be donate to the Wandsworth Food Bank.
- Veggie Burger – we’ve done the mushroom burger thing to death, so we wanted to create something more interesting and we feel we’ve done exactly that with our fennel, courgette and butter bean patty to which we add pickled red onions and salsa verde. We think we might even convert some meat eaters.
- Ben’s Pulled Pork Bap – we love pulled pork, it has to be good for the soul. However, we’ve probably never got it quite right at the Canteen, until now! Now, it’s a thing of (messy) beauty and we seriously recommend it.
- The Sea Dog is basically a jumbo homemade fish finger, served with homemade tartare sauce and what we’re calling mustard peas which is kind of like mushy peas but with a bit more of a kick.
- Obviously we’ve kept the BC Burger, it’s so popular, but it too has had an upgrade. We used to top it with home brined topside of beef but we’ve switched to salt beef as it gives even more flavour.
- We also couldn’t resist bringing in a monster of a burger – The Salad Dodger. It’s two beef patties with bacon and double cheese. Really, it’s for those who love meat sweats (warning, the picture below probably doesn’t quite do it justice, it is a biggie).
All of burgers now come on their own, meaning you can choose which sides you wish to add and/or share with your friends. Don’t forget, The Evening Standard reckon we do the best sweet potato chips in town.
As well as Small Plates and Big Juicy Burgers we do have some more straightforward Bigger Plates with a lovely Rump Steak, Two Salads and Grilled Fish with Fennel, Lemon and Salsa Verde and of course Desserts – the Passion Fruit Cheesecake is lovely with the Ice Cream Sundae and the Brownie being wonderfully indulgent.