“If there’s a chef in London with a better reputation for Scotch Eggs than Dave Ahern, then show him to me” said David Constable of Forever Eggsploring.
Now, we’re not saying that the sole reason we appointed Dave as our head chef was because of his scotch egg rep but we do love them and it certainly didn’t count against him! It also brought some pressure on him to deliver a killer scotch egg and boy oh boy has he delivered.
Ladies and gentleman we’re proud to introduce you to the Ben’s Canteen exclusive All Day Breakfast Scotch Egg.
Whilst Dave is keen to hold onto the whole recipe, here are some insights…
- Free range sausage meat
- prepared to his specs
- mixed with fried cubes of black pudding
- baked bean flavourings and more seasoning added
- Eggs timed in boiling water to the second, then into ice water
- Bacon and mushroom breadcrumbs
- Egg is crumbed twice
- Then rolled in crumbs once more just before frying
- Eggs are then finished in the oven